Princes' Gates

The Princes' Gates is a triumphal arch monumental gateway at Exhibition Place in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was built to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Canadian confederation and was to be named The Diamond Jubilee of Confederation Gates. The structure's name was changed when it was learned that Edward, Prince of Wales and Prince George were traveling to Toronto. The princes cut the ribbon on the structure on August 30, 1927.

Designed in the Beaux-Arts style by Toronto Firm of Chapman and Oxley, the gates -- including the sculptures – were constructed of “artificial stone” made from cement. The sculptures were modeled by Charles D. McKechnie. Designed during a period of great national confidence, the gates use the style of ancient Greece & Rome to celebrate both Canada and the Canadian National Exhibition.

The gates are a 300 feet (91 m)-long, 18-column structure with a 41 feet (12 m)-high central arch, topped by the Goddess of Winged Victory statue, an interpretation of the original Winged Victory of Samothrace, designed by architect Alfred Chapman of Chapman and Oxley and carved by Charles McKechnie. In her hand, she holds a single maple leaf. Flanking the Winged Victory statue are various figures representing progress, industry, agriculture, arts, and science. There are nine pillars to either side of the main arch, representing the nine Canadian provinces in existence at the time of construction. Each column is topped with a flag pole. The plaza has an additional, taller flag pole, to the north of the central arch.

 

Picture credits - Jhonatan Gazze

On each side of the classical triumphal arch, nine Doric columns represent the nine provinces of Canada in 1927. Above the central arch is “Winged Victory” holding aloft a hero’s crown (originally adorned with a lamp). In her left hand, she holds a single maple leaf, symbol of Canadian independence. Guarded by sea horses in waves, she stands in a “ship of state” the Coat of Arms of Canada on its stern. Representing “progress and advance” Winged Victory leads Canada into a promising future. The beehive symbolizes productive labour, and perhaps here the mixed farming of rural Ontario. The cornucopia is a symbol of agriculture and the fruits of the harvest. Ontario’s Coat of arms marks the pinnacle of the gates’ curved end walls. To the left, a woman with a sheaf of grain on her knees represents farming. At right, a man-his hand resting on a cogged wheel, drawings on his lap, and chains at his feet – represents construction and industry.

The 1990s to 2017
The planning phase at Exhibition Place has been a long one, starting in 1879 and continuing through to today. With attention now focused on the re-generation of Toronto's waterfront, future changes may be on the horizon, allowing Exhibition Place to play a key role in the re-development and integration of the waterfront. Photo of the OVO Athletic Centre that opened in 2016.
Enercare Centre
Completely built by March, 1997, Enercare Centre (formerly the National Trade Centre) is the first showpiece of Exhibition Place. It is the largest convention and exhibition centre in Canada and the sixth largest in North America, offering over one million square feet of exhibit space.
BMO Field
Since 2007, BMO Field has welcomed over a million fans and has hosted a multitude of events including the MLS Cup in 2010, the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, and International Rugby and Lacrosse games. Originally, this site had been home to four Grandstands built between 1879 and 1948. In the 1970s, a sports stadium was added to the south side of the 1948 Grandstand. The Grandstand and Stadium were demolished in 1999. In 2007, MLSE opened BMO Field, Canada’s first soccer-specific stadium and official home of the Toronto FC and the Toronto Argonauts.
Beanfield Centre
Completely renovated and reopened by October 2009, Beanfield Centre (formerly the Automotive Building) is the second showpiece of Exhibition Place. Beanfield Centre combines history and state-of-the-art technology. The 160,000 square foot facility incorporates today’s most advanced technological innovations, while remaining respectful to the historical aspects of the former Automotive Building.
Hotel X
Opened in 2018, Hotel X provides Toronto visitors with a cutting edge mix of hospitality, sporting and entertainment options. Set amidst lavish gardens and with spectacular lake and city views, Hotel X contains 406 guest rooms and suites, restaurants, a cinematech, retail shopping and a rooftop pool and bar area.