Rose Garden

At this time a fountain was added around the base of the Shriners’ Peace Memorial, which was dedicated in June 1930 during a convention of the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (Shriners) to commemorate nearly a century of peaceful relations between Canada and the United States. The Memorial consists of a bronze winged figure, the Goddess of Peace, standing with her arms upraised and holding two olive branches. The figure is elevated on a globe of the world supported by two sphinxes. Two more fountains were also added on either side.

The lily pond, at the eastern end of the garden, was drained in recent years to prevent mosquitos from breeding there. Despite this, it is a beautifully landscaped area that offers visitors a quiet sanctuary and a treat for the senses.

The formal gardens planted throughout the entire area are filled with annuals, perennials and roses. As roses predominate, this part of Exhibition Place has come to be known as the Rose Garden.

Today, there are nearly 3,000 rose bushes in the Rose Garden at Exhibition Place. Types of roses include Hybrid Teas, Floribunda, Grandiflora, Explorer roses and Flower Carpet roses. The 2.3 acre area continues to be maintained by the City of Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division and is one of the most outstanding gardens in the City. It is a favorite spot for wedding photos or just to take a stroll on a summer’s day.

The 1990s to 2017
The planning phase at Exhibition Place has been a long one, starting in 1879 and continuing through to today. With attention now focused on the re-generation of Toronto's waterfront, future changes may be on the horizon, allowing Exhibition Place to play a key role in the re-development and integration of the waterfront. Photo of Biosteel Centre that opened in 2016.
Enercare Centre
Completely built by March, 1997, Enercare Centre (formerly the National Trade Centre) is the first showpiece of Exhibition Place. It is the largest convention and exhibition centre in Canada and the sixth largest in North America, offering over one million square feet of exhibit space.
BMO Field
Since 2007, BMO Field has welcomed over a million fans and has hosted a multitude of events including the MLS Cup in 2010, the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, and International Rugby and Lacrosse games. Originally, this site had been home to four Grandstands built between 1879 and 1948. In the 1970s, a sports stadium was added to the south side of the 1948 Grandstand. The Grandstand and Stadium were demolished in 1999. In 2007, MLSE opened BMO Field, Canada’s first soccer-specific stadium and official home of the Toronto FC and the Toronto Argonauts.
Beanfield Centre
Completely renovated and reopened by October 2009, Beanfield Centre (formerly the Automotive Building) is the second showpiece of Exhibition Place. Beanfield Centre combines history and state-of-the-art technology. The 160,000 square foot facility incorporates today’s most advanced technological innovations, while remaining respectful to the historical aspects of the former Automotive Building.
Hotel X
Slated to open in 2017, Hotel X will provide Toronto with a cutting edge mix of hospitality, sporting and entertainment options. Set amidst lavish gardens and with spectacular lake and city views, Hotel X will contain 406 guest rooms and suites, restaurants, a cinematech, retail shopping and a rooftop pool and bar area.