Fort Rouillé outline

Toronto’s 150th Birthday Celebration The concrete walkways in this area delineate the walls of Fort Rouillé, a French trading post located on this site from 1750 to 1759. Location: North of the Fort Rouillé monument

The reconstructed ground plan of Fort Rouillé is based on archaeological excavations conducted in 1979 and 1980 by the Toronto Historical Board, and on an excavation conducted in 1982 by the Youth Committee, Toronto Sesquicentennial Board. Over fifty young people, directed by professional archaeologists, participated in this excavation.
Ground Plan
A Corps de Garde
B Storeroom/ Barracks
C Barracks
D Store and Storekeeper
E Blacksmith
F Officers’ Quarters
G Outbuildings
The 1982 excavation was funded by the City of Toronto, the Toronto Board of Education, and the Ontario Heritage Foundation. Completion of the project was made possible by the co-operation of the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto, Board of Governors of Exhibition Place, Toronto Historical Board, French Language Advisory Committee--Toronto Board of Education, University of Toronto, Toronto’s independent schools, Gannett Foundation, Learnxs Foundation, and the Metropolitan Separate School Board.
Erected 1986
Toronto Sesquicentennial Board
Art Eggleton, Mayor, City of Toronto
David Garrick, Chairman Reginald W. Lewis, President
Alderman Anne Johnston, Vice-President Ruth Eisen, Secretary
Trustee Nola Crowe, Chair, Youth Committee
Alderman Frederick J. Beavis, Alderman Richard Gilbert, Alderman Ben Grys, Alderman Joseph Piccininni, Mike Filey, Stephanie Hetcherson, Les Kovacsi, Frank Lofranco, John McGinnis, Frank Paznar, Paul Rouleau, John Scott, John Sewell, Rhea Shulman, Sandy Stewart, Deborah Woodman.
Roy V. Henderson, City Clerk
Donald A. Brown, Director of Excavations

Sculptured by Ronald Baird, Commissioned by the House of Seagram. Location: West side of the Better Living Centre attached to the sculpture “83”
Bandshell (erection)
Erected by the City of Toronto for the Canadian National Exhibition Association and officially opened by His Worship the Mayor Samuel McBride Esquire, August 28, 1936 K.S. Gillies, MRAIC, Commissioner of Buildings. Location: On the east wall of the Bandshell
Bell, Marilyn
This plaque is dedicated to the honour of Marilyn Bell. A Toronto, Ontario girl who, on Sept 9th 1954 at the age of 16 years, performed the magnificent athletic feat of swimming the full width of Lake Ontario, thus being the first known person to have accomplished this arduous task, of which all Canadians are justly proud. Location: On the concrete base of the lion monument on the south side of Liberty Grand.
Bone, Percy
This tree is planted in memory of the late Percy Bone a dedicated director of the Canadian National Exhibition for many years. Sept. 2, 1973. Location: On a rock on the southwest corner of the Horticulture Building.
British Columbia Fir Flagpole
Which was cut from a tree two hundred and thirty-seven years old and which is one hundred and eighty-four feet high. Donated by Timberland Lumber Co. Limited, New Westminster, B.C. October 22nd 1928. Transported free of charge from New Westminster, B.C. to Quebec by Canadian National Steamships Limited, from Quebec to Toronto by Canadian Steamships Limited, and from the dock to Exhibition grounds by the Toronto Harbour Commission. Erected by the Canadian National Exhibition Ass'n. August 12th 1930. Location: On a cement marker immediately north of the site of the flagpole (the flagpole was removed in 2008).
Carlsberg Carillon
Carlsberg Carillon presented to the Canadian National Exhibition by Carling O’Keefe Breweries August 1974. Made by Royal Eijsbouts-Holland Location: On the east side of the Carillon
Clapsaddle, Jerry
Jerry Clapsaddle. (b.1941) “Shoreline”, 1996. Coloured concrete pavers. Location: On east side of concrete wall on outer stairwell after exiting Galleria, Hall B, Enercare Centre.
Coliseum Complex Cornerstone
This stone was laid by Thomas A. Foster, Esquire, Mayor of Toronto on the 31st day of May A.D. 1927. Location: On exterior wall of the Coliseum Complex, North Extension
Commemorative Employee Bench (12 small plaques)
In Memory Your Colleagues at Exhibition Place Terry Palmateer 1950 – 2011 Debbie Young 1954 – 2011 Mike Sgouraditis 1966 – 2011 Duncan McKenna 1950 – 2011 Linda Newman 1957 – 2012 Richard Bieler 1941 – 2012 John Scott 1949 – 2012 Reggie Langford 1936 – 2013 John Harlowe 1959 – 2015 Douglas Ardron 1952 – 2016 Donna Vanalstyne 1971 – 2016 Clay Woodcox 1960 – 2016 Location: On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden
Commemorative Employee Bench (1 small plaque)
In Memory Your Colleagues at Exhibition Place Robert “Bob” Hanson 1933 – 2017 Location: On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden
Construction of National Soccer Stadium
The construction of the National Soccer Stadium was completed on April 11, 2007. This project was made possible through investments by the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto. Location: On the wall on the northeast side of BMO Field