Princes' Gates

These monumental gates were erected in 1927 to mark the 60th anniversary of Canadian Confederation. Location: Northeast side of the Princes’ Gates

Designed in the Beaux-Arts style by Toronto Firm of Chapman and Oxley, the gates -- including the sculptures – were constructed of “artificial stone” made from cement. The sculptures were modeled by Charles D. McKechnie. Designed during a period of great national confidence, the gates use the style of ancient Greece & Rome to celebrate both Canada and the Canadian National Exhibition. Originally named “The Diamond Jubilee of Confederation Gates”, the structure was renamed the “Princes’ Gates” for Edward, Prince of Wales, and his brother Prince George, who were both present at its official opening August 30, 1927.
On each side of the classical triumphal arch, nine Doric columns represent the nine provinces of Canada in 1927.
Above the central arch is “Winged Victory” holding aloft a hero’s crown (originally adorned with a lamp). In her left hand, she holds a single maple leaf, symbol of Canadian independence. Guarded by sea horses in waves, she stands in a “ship of state” the Coat of Arms of Canada on its stern. Representing “progress and advance” Winged Victory leads Canada into a promising future.
The beehive symbolizes productive labour, and perhaps here the mixed farming of rural Ontario.
The cornucopia is a symbol of agriculture and the fruits of the harvest.
Ontario’s Coat of arms marks the pinnacle of the gates’ curved end walls. To the left, a woman with a sheaf of grain on her knees represents farming. At right, a man-his hand resting on a cogged wheel, drawings on his lap, and chains at his feet – represents construction and industry.
Heritage Toronto 2006

Sculptured by Ronald Baird, Commissioned by the House of Seagram. Location: West side of the Better Living Centre attached to the sculpture “83”
Bandshell (erection)
Erected by the City of Toronto for the Canadian National Exhibition Association and officially opened by His Worship the Mayor Samuel McBride Esquire, August 28, 1936 K.S. Gillies, MRAIC, Commissioner of Buildings. Location: On the east wall of the Bandshell
Bell, Marilyn
This plaque is dedicated to the honour of Marilyn Bell. A Toronto, Ontario girl who, on Sept 9th 1954 at the age of 16 years, performed the magnificent athletic feat of swimming the full width of Lake Ontario, thus being the first known person to have accomplished this arduous task, of which all Canadians are justly proud. Location: On the concrete base of the lion monument on the south side of Liberty Grand.
Bone, Percy
This tree is planted in memory of the late Percy Bone a dedicated director of the Canadian National Exhibition for many years. Sept. 2, 1973. Location: On a rock on the southwest corner of the Horticulture Building.
British Columbia Fir Flagpole
Which was cut from a tree two hundred and thirty-seven years old and which is one hundred and eighty-four feet high. Donated by Timberland Lumber Co. Limited, New Westminster, B.C. October 22nd 1928. Transported free of charge from New Westminster, B.C. to Quebec by Canadian National Steamships Limited, from Quebec to Toronto by Canadian Steamships Limited, and from the dock to Exhibition grounds by the Toronto Harbour Commission. Erected by the Canadian National Exhibition Ass'n. August 12th 1930. Location: On a cement marker immediately north of the site of the flagpole (the flagpole was removed in 2008).
Carlsberg Carillon
Carlsberg Carillon presented to the Canadian National Exhibition by Carling O’Keefe Breweries August 1974. Made by Royal Eijsbouts-Holland Location: On the east side of the Carillon
Clapsaddle, Jerry
Jerry Clapsaddle. (b.1941) “Shoreline”, 1996. Coloured concrete pavers. Location: On east side of concrete wall on outer stairwell after exiting Galleria, Hall B, Enercare Centre.
Coliseum Complex Cornerstone
This stone was laid by Thomas A. Foster, Esquire, Mayor of Toronto on the 31st day of May A.D. 1927. Location: On exterior wall of the Coliseum Complex, North Extension
Commemorative Employee Bench (12 small plaques)
In Memory Your Colleagues at Exhibition Place Terry Palmateer 1950 – 2011 Debbie Young 1954 – 2011 Mike Sgouraditis 1966 – 2011 Duncan McKenna 1950 – 2011 Linda Newman 1957 – 2012 Richard Bieler 1941 – 2012 John Scott 1949 – 2012 Reggie Langford 1936 – 2013 John Harlowe 1959 – 2015 Douglas Ardron 1952 – 2016 Donna Vanalstyne 1971 – 2016 Clay Woodcox 1960 – 2016 Location: On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden
Commemorative Employee Bench (1 small plaque)
In Memory Your Colleagues at Exhibition Place Robert “Bob” Hanson 1933 – 2017 Location: On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden
Construction of National Soccer Stadium
The construction of the National Soccer Stadium was completed on April 11, 2007. This project was made possible through investments by the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto. Location: On the wall on the northeast side of BMO Field