Q. I worked for Housekeeping in 2018; do I need to reapply for 2019?
- If you worked for Housekeeping in 2018 and had a favourable record (no lates, no missed shifts, etc.) then you may be eligible for rehire and do not need to reapply.
- Please contact Housekeeping Services by call at 416.263.3503 or by e-mail at email@example.com for further information.
Q. What kind of summer jobs do you have at Exhibition Place?
Housekeeping Attendants duties include:
- Paper picking – keeping your assigned area free of litter and debris;
- Sweeping & Mopping – ensuring that floors are kept free of debris and sanitary;
- Pushcart – exchanging garbage and recycling receptacles within an assigned area; depositing recyclable products in recycling compound;
- Washrooms – maintaining a standard cleanliness in the washroom assigned; refilling supplies such as toilet paper and hand towels; exchanging garbage; sweeping floors, cleaning toilets, counters, sinks and mirrors; troubleshoot stage 1 toilet issues (i.e. remove debris from clogged toilets with proper PPE);
- Work in the outdoors, rain or shine; walk to and from assigned area (areas may be up to 1000m from initial check-in site).
Q. What is the minimum age to work at Exhibition Place?
- Housekeeping applicants must be a minimum of 14 years of age
Q. What are the minimum requirements to work during the Canadian National Exhibition?
- Each candidate must meet the following requirement of the position:
- Must be a minimum of 14 years of age;
- Must be fully available for 2018 CNE period which runs from: Friday, August 16 to Monday, September 2 (Labour Day) inclusive;
- Must be available to attend mandatory orientation/training on July 22 or July 23;
- Must be able to work flexible hours/weekends/midnights;
- Must be a full-time student currently enrolled in school/university.
Q. What happens after I submit an application?
- Upon a careful review of each application received by the Human Resources team, successful candidates will be contacted for an interview either by phone or email.
Q. If I have been asked to come in for an interview, what do I need to bring with me?
- Exhibition Place has a practice of ‘on the spot hiring’, so it is mandatory for all candidates to bring all listed documents to the interview.
- It is mandatory for candidates to bring the following documents:
- Proof of Social Insurance Number
- Photo Identification or Student ID Card
- Direct Deposit Form or Void Cheque
- A valid work visa/permit if you are an international student
In all cases, failure to produce proof may result in not being able to participate in the interview.
Q. This is my first job, how should I prepare for the interview?
- Candidates should dress appropriately for a job interview. For example, club attire is not suitable for a job interview.
- Candidates should be aware of how long it’s going to take to get to the interview/work location and should check all public transportation times in advance of their interview date. They should not be late for interview as it reflects poor time management skills.
- Candidates should review the company’s website before the interview and ensure they have noted any questions they need answers to.
- Candidates should think about some references (personal, work, volunteer, school) as Human Resources may ask them to provide one.
- Candidates should be able to speak about their education, work and volunteer experiences that are listed on their resume as well be able to produce a copy of any certificate/diploma or training they list as completed.
- Candidates should always ensure that they bring all documentation requested by Exhibition Place to the interview as this demonstrates that you have good organizational skills.
Q. What can I expect at the interview?
- Candidates can expect to participate in a one on one interview with the Human Resources.
- At the conclusion of the interview, you will be informed if you will be offered a position.
- If you are a successful candidate, you will be required to stay about another 45 to complete the necessary paperwork. Therefore, it is important to bring proof of social insurance number or work visa/permit, photo identification and direct deposit information to the interview.
Q. When do interviews take place?
- Interviews usually take place from the middle of June to the end of July.
- Please remember Human resources will contact you by phone or email to invite you to an interview. So make sure your contact information on your application is correct.
Q. Is there any training provided?
- Yes, there are several components of training that will be provided including web based and instructor-led training.
- Instructor-led training will be provided on Orientation Day (July 22 & 23) only after you have been selected to work and are properly documented.
- Please note that training is mandatory and you are not permitted to start work until you have completed all mandatory training required.
Q. Do you offer direct deposit?
- Yes, Direct Deposit is our only method of payment of salary and candidates will be required to provide a Direct Deposit statement which can be made available by your financial institution.
Q. What is a typical work schedule/shift during the CNE?
- Housekeeping Services operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the CNE.
- In order to maintain this schedule, there are 3 daily shifts available; days, afternoons and midnights.
- Most employees may be provided with 5 (five) shifts per work week and most shifts during the CNE period are generally 6 to 7 hours in length.
Q. When would I receive my pay during the CNE?
- You will be paid weekly and the weekly pay period at Exhibition Place starts on a Sunday and ends on a Saturday.
Q. How would my pay stub look like?
- A sample of pay stub is attached for reference and once hired all inquiries regarding pay related matters can be directed to Payroll Services.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Staffing Office at 416. 263.3503 or send us an e-mail at SummerStaffingInfo@explace.on.ca