Enercare Centre at Exhibition Place Achieves LEED® Platinum Certification
[July 30, 2019 Toronto, ON] Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC) announced that Enercare Centre at Exhibition Place has been awarded LEED® EB:O&M Platinum Certification (Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance). Enercare Centre is the first convention centre in Ontario to receive this distinction by the CaGBC.
The Leadership in Energy an Environmental Design (LEED®) is an internationally recognized rating system for evaluating the sustainability of building design, construction and operations. LEED® certified buildings incorporate leading-edge features that protect the environment and promote healthy work and living conditions.
As the largest convention centre in Canada, Enercare Centre’s achievement is substantial and continues to present the venue and the entire site of Exhibition Place as an industry leader in environmental and sustainability practices through our GREENSmart Program. Enercare Centre has set a higher standard with high-performance policies and technologies that use resources more efficiently and encourage sustainable action from visitors and the city.
A few of the significant achievements to reach LEED® Platinum certification includes:
- Demonstrated energy performance that is 30% better than the national average.
- Reduced indoor potable water consumption from the baseline by 39% through installation of low-flush water fixtures, saving an estimated 1.1 million gallons per year.
- Conducted a waste stream audit of all waste leaving the building, identifying that 69% of all waste generated throughout the building and associated grounds is diverted from landfills.
- 53% of ongoing consumables, 98% of durable goods, and 93% of facility construction and renovation materials were diverted from landfills.
- Reduced reflection of heat into the atmosphere by using highly reflective roofing materials and installing vegetated roof areas.
- Over 75% of all building occupants and visitors use sustainable modes of transportation, including public transit, walking, bicycling, or carpooling, to arrive at the Enercare Centre.
- HVAC&R systems do not use CFC-based refrigerants.
- Performed full-building commissioning and implemented an ongoing commissioning plan, ensuring proper installation and functioning of all building systems.
- All materials facility alterations and additional purchases were made in compliance with LEED sustainability standards.
- Consistently use highly effective filtration media (MERV 13) to ensure the best indoor air quality.
- Implemented Indoor Air Quality Management Plans during alterations and renovations to ensure the health and safety of construction employees as well as all building occupants.
“I congratulate and thank the team at Exhibition Place for their tremendous work on our commitment to the environment and to achieving the prestigious LEED Platinum Certification,” said Councillor Mark Grimes, Chair of the Board of Governors of Exhibition Place, “I couldn’t be more proud of the way our staff and Board support our site as a world leader in sustainability and environmental protection.”
LEED Platinum Certification for Enercare Centre follows the LEED® Gold Certification for Enercare Centre in 2014 and the LEED Silver Certification of Beanfield Centre in 2012.