Plaques

Exhibition Place has approximately 100 plaques on its grounds commemorating various buildings, people, and events.

"83"

Location

West side of the Better Living Centre attached to the sculpture “83”

read more

Baden-Powell, Lord Robert of Gilwell

Location

West lawn of the Queen Elizabeth Building

read more

Bandshell (erection)

Location

On the east wall of the Bandshell

read more

The Bandshell

Location

On the east wall of the Bandshell.

read more

Bell, Marilyn

Location

On the concrete base of the lion monument on the south side of Liberty Grand.

read more

Better Living Center City of Toronto

Location

On the wall of the northwest entrance of the Better Living Centre.

read more

Bone, Percy

Location

On a rock on the southwest corner of the Horticulture Building

read more

British Columbia Fir Flagpole

Location

On a cement marker immediately north of the site of the flagpole (the flagpole was removed in 2008).

read more

Canadian International Air Show

Location

South of the Fort Rouillé monument.

read more

Canadian National Exhibition Association

Location

On the west wall of the Queen Elizabeth Building.

read more

Canadian National Exhibition Flagpole

Location

On a cement marker immediately north of the site of the flagpole (the flagpole was removed in 2008)

read more

Canadian National Exhibition

Location

On a cement marker at the north entrance to Centennial Square

read more

Carlsberg Carillon

Location

On the east side of the Carillon.

read more

Clapsaddle, Jerry

Location

On east side of concrete wall on outer stairwell after exiting Galleria, Hall B, Enercare Centre.

read more

Coliseum Complex

Location

On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

read more

Coliseum Complex Cornerstone

Location

On exterior wall of the Coliseum Complex, North Extension

read more

Commemorative Employee Bench (12 small plaques)

Location

On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden

read more

Commemorative Employee Bench (1 small plaque)

Location

On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden

read more

Construction of National Soccer Stadium

Location

On the wall on the northeast side of BMO Field

read more

The Defence of York

Location

On the concrete base of the lion monument on the south side of Liberty Grand

read more

Delanoë, Bertrand

Location

West of the Fort Rouillé monument

read more

Dryden, William Arthur

Location

On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

read more

Early Exhibition Buildings

Location

South lawn of the Press Building

read more

Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 1st Base

Location

On the ground in the west end of the parking lot south of BMO Field

read more

Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 2nd Base

Location

On the ground in the west end of the parking lot south of BMO Field

read more

Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 3rd Base

Location

On the ground in the west end of the parking lot south of BMO Field

read more

Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque Home Plate

Location

On the ground in the west end of the parking lot south of BMO Field

read more

Ex-Calibur

Location

On base of the moose, east hallway, Galleria, Enercare Centre

read more

Food Building Cornerstone

Location

On exterior wall of the Food Building, northeast corner

read more

Fort Rouillé

Location

Next to the Fort Rouillé monument

read more

Fort Rouillé outline

Location

North of the Fort Rouillé monument

read more

Fort Rouillé (on monument)

Location

On the Fort Rouillé monument

read more

Fort Rouillé Re-dedication

Location

On a rock on the northwest corner of the cement outline of the fort

read more

Garden of the Greek Gods

Location

On a rock on the southeast side of the Horticulture Building

read more

Haines, Frederick S.

Location

On the wall, east Galleria of the Enercare Centre

read more

Heritage Entrance and Satok Mural

Location

On wall inside west entrance of BMO Field

read more

HMCS York

Location

On the north exterior wall, Beanfield Centre

read more

Honouring the Environmental Leadership of WindShare Co-op’s First Members

Location

On the south side of the Wind Turbine

read more

Horse Palace

Location

On the exterior west wall of the Horse Palace

read more

Husain, Malik

Location

On a rock east of Scadding Cabin

read more

Jones, Oakah L.

Location

On a rock on the southwest corner of Centennial Square

read more

Kurtz Mann Inc.

Location

In tunnel connecting Enercare Centre and Beanfield Centre. On the east side of the tunnel (coming from Enercare).

read more

LEED Platinum, Enercare Centre

Location

On north wall of Hall B in Galleria of the Enercare Centre

read more

LEED Silver, Beanfield Centre

Location

On north interior wall of the Beanfield Centre lobby

read more

Lexier, Micah

Location

On the wall on north side of Galleria, Enercare Centre, at the east end, near the beginning of the art installation.

read more

Livestock Medallion, c. 1926

Location

On the northeast exterior wall of the Enercare Centre

read more

Livestock Medallions and Decorative Plaques c. 1926

Location

On the west exterior wall of the Enercare Centre

read more

McGillivray, John A.

Location

On the fountain, southeast of the Dufferin Gate and in Centennial Square

read more

McKechnie, Charles Duncan

Location

On wall beside the door leading to the Coliseum East Annex in Heritage Court.

read more

MLS All Star Game

Location

On a rock on the east side of the Better Living Centre

read more

Molson Indy

Location

West of the west bridge to Ontario Place

read more

Mungcal, Sito

Location

On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden

read more

The Music Building

Location

On the exterior west wall of the Music Building

read more

The National Soccer Stadium In Recognition

Location

On the exterior north wall of BMO Field

read more

The National Trade Centre

Location

Inside the southeast entrance to the Enercare Centre (across from Beanfield Centre)

read more

The National Trade Centre Art Advisory Committee

Location

On wall inside the east entrance to the Enercare Centre and next to underground parking entrance at halls C & D

read more

The Painter’s Eye (mosaic)

Location

[There is currently no plaque marking The Painter’s Eye]

read more

The Princes' Gates (Official Opening)

Location

On the inside arch of the Princes’ Gates

read more

Piazza Princes' Gates (1)

Location

Northeast side of the Princes’ Gates

read more

Piazza Princes' Gates (2)

Location

Northeast side of the Princes’ Gates

read more

Price, Arthur

Location

On the base of the sculpture, north side of the Better Living Centre

read more

Princess Margaret Fountain

Location

On the south side of the fountain

read more

Queen Elizabeth Building

Location

On the south wall of the Queen Elizabeth Building near the entrance to the Theatre

read more

The Queen's Rangers

Location

East of the west bridge to Ontario Place

read more

Ram's Head Keystones

Location

On the wall in the east Galleria of the Enercare Centre

read more

Ricoh

Location

On the west wall in the lobby of the Coca Cola Coliseum

read more

Ricoh Coliseum

Location

On the wall in the upper concourse of the Ricoh Coliseum (renamed to Coca Cola Coliseum in July 2018), 300 level, next to the elevators

read more

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair 80th Anniversary

Location

On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

read more

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Association of Canada

Location

On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

read more

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair and Canadian National Exhibition

Location

On the wall in the stairwell leading to the RAWF offices off the rotunda.

read more

Royal Canadian Air Force

Location

On the wall in entranceway to the lobby of the RAWF offices

read more

The Royal Canadian Dragoons

Location

On wall inside the main entrance of Stanley Barracks

read more

Royal Canadian Regiment

Location

On wall inside the main entrance of Stanley Barracks

read more

Sakura Tree

Location

Southeast of Liberty Grand

read more

Scadding Cabin (on rock)

Location

On a rock, relocated in 2012 to the west side of the Scadding Cabin garden (original location was on the east side near the front door of the cabin)

read more

Scadding Cabin

Location

On the east side of the cabin

read more

Shrine Peace Memorial

Location

South of the fountain in the Rose Garden

read more

Sir Douglas Fir

Location

On concrete marker and below the Canadian National Exhibition Flagpole plaque

read more

Stanley Barracks

Location

Northeast corner of Stanley Barracks

read more

Stone Cornice and Cast Tympanum

Location

Inside west entrance to Heritage Court

read more

Strekalovskikh, Vladimir Bench

Location

On a bench on the south lawn of the General Services Building

read more

Tam, Elaine Bench

Location

On a bench on the south lawn of the General Services Building

read more

Toronto 2015 Pan Am / Parapan Am

Location

On south interior wall of the Enercare Centre entrance

read more

Toronto Industrial Exhibition

Location

On west wall of the Queen Elizabeth Building

read more

Toronto-Rochester

Location

On a rock on the southeast side of Liberty Grand

read more

Ukrainian Plaque

Location

Northwest end of the Enlisted Men's Barracks

read more

Vimy Oaks Legacy

Location

On lawn, south of Bandshell Café in the Rose Garden

read more

The Warriors Day Parade

Location

Northeast of Beanfield Centre

read more

Westervelt, Alexander Pattullo

Location

On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

read more

The Withrow Family

Location

On the exterior west wall of the Press Building

read more

Youth and Environment

Location

West lawn of the Queen Elizabeth Building in front of a sculpture by E.B. Cox

read more

American Elm

Location

Originally located on a rock west of the Press Building. Removed June 21, 2018 after elm tree was removed due to Dutch Elm disease. Stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3

read more

Coliseum

Location

[Currently in storage]

read more

Exhibition Stadium

Location

[Currently in storage]

read more

G20 Toronto

Location

[Removed October 2019]

read more

Gooderham Fountain, 1911 (cornerstone of fountain)

Location

[Stored in Records & Archives]

read more

Grandstand

Location

[Stored in Records & Archives]

read more

LEED Gold, Enercare Centre

Location

[Stored in Records & Archives]

read more

The Painter’s Eye (mosaic and garden)

Location

[Currently in storage]

read more

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair

Location

[Stored in Records & Archives]

read more

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 1: South Grandstand 1976 – 1999

Location

[Currently in storage]

read more

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 2: North Grandstand 1948 – 1999

Location

[Currently in storage]

read more

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 3: Football Northeast Corner

Location

[Currently in storage]

read more

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 4: Football Southwest Corner

Location

[Currently in storage]

read more

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 5: Football Southeast Corner

Location

[Currently in storage]

read more

Steam Tug

Location

Hanlan’s Point, Centre Island

read more

Hanlan, Edward

Location

Hanlan’s Point, Centre Island

read more

Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Location

RCMP office (Ottawa)

read more

"83"

Sculptured by Ronald Baird, Commissioned by the House of Seagram.

Location: West side of the Better Living Centre attached to the sculpture “83”

Baden-Powell, Lord Robert of Gilwell

This plaque commemorates the 100th anniversary of the official opening of the 32nd annual Canadian National Exhibition by Lord Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell of Gilwell on August 30, 1910.

Location: West lawn of the Queen Elizabeth Building

B-P, as he became familiarly known, founded Boy Scouts in 1907 and Girl Guides in 1910. The movements grew spectacularly and have touched the lives of over 300 million throughout the world. At our investiture we undertake to love and serve God and country and to develop ourselves fully so that we can help others at all times. For over forty years, Scouts Canada of the Greater Toronto Council has operated a free wheelchair service for those who cannot easily get around the EX. Many thousands of visitors appreciate the help provided by the youth and adults of this volunteer Service Corps.

August 30, 2010

Greater Toronto Council – Scouts Canada

Bandshell (erection)

Erected by the City of Toronto for the Canadian National Exhibition Association and officially opened by His Worship the Mayor Samuel McBride Esquire, August 28, 1936 K.S. Gillies, MRAIC, Commissioner of Buildings.

Location: On the east wall of the Bandshell

The Bandshell

The Bandshell was built in 1936, replacing the Bandstand that had occupied this area of the Exhibition Place grounds since 1906.

Location: On the east wall of the Bandshell.

Its Art Deco architecture, designed by Crai and Madill Architects, is modeled after the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, California. The Bandshell was officially opened on August 28, 1936 by Toronto Mayor Sam McBride and Sir Percy Vincent, Lord Mayor of London, as part of the CNE Opening Ceremonies.

Since that time, it has been home to a host of the world’s finest entertainers including military and jazz bands, orchestras, vocalists,choirs, comedians, cartoon characters, musical shows, rock ‘n’ roll bands, urban music, and dignitaries from across Canada and around the world.

This plaque commemorates the 75th Anniversary of the Bandshell.

August 2011

Bell, Marilyn

This plaque is dedicated to the honour of Marilyn Bell. A Toronto, Ontario girl who, on Sept 9th 1954 at the age of 16 years, performed the magnificent athletic feat of swimming the full width of Lake Ontario, thus being the first known person to have accomplished this

arduous task, of which all Canadians are justly proud.

Location: On the concrete base of the lion monument on the south side of Liberty Grand.

Better Living Center City of Toronto

Officially opened by his worship Nathan Philips, Q.C., Mayor August 17, 1962.

Location: On the wall of the northwest entrance of the Better Living Centre.

 

Controllers: Donald D. Summerville, Philip G. Givens, Q.C.President of Council: William Dennison, Herbert Orlife, Q.C. Alderme William L. Archer, Fred Beavis, Horace Brown, Mrs. Margaret Campbell, Q.C., W. Frank Clifton, W.M.C Davidson, Q.C., B. Michael Grayson, B.A, Alex Hodgins, Harold Menzies, Frank L. Nash, Q.C., Kenneth M. Ostrander, Joseph J. Piccininni, Mrs. May Robinson, David Rottenberg, B.A., Mrs. Mary Temple, Charles Tidy, Thomas A. Wardle, Kenneth G. Waters

W.P. Freyseng President, Canadian National Exhibition

Marani, Morris & Allan-ArchitectsRedfern Construction Company Limited-General Contractor

Bone, Percy

This tree is planted in memory of the late Percy Bone a dedicated director of the Canadian National Exhibition for many years. Sept. 2, 1973.

Location: On a rock on the southwest corner of the Horticulture Building.

British Columbia Fir Flagpole

Which was cut from a tree two hundred and thirty-seven years old and which is one hundred and eighty-four feet high. Donated by Timberland Lumber Co. Limited, New Westminster, B.C. October 22nd 1928. Transported free of charge from New Westminster, B.C. to Quebec by Canadian National Steamships Limited, from Quebec to Toronto by Canadian Steamships Limited, and from the dock to Exhibition grounds by the Toronto Harbour Commission. Erected by the Canadian National Exhibition Ass’n. August 12th 1930.

Location: On a cement marker immediately north of the site of the flagpole (the flagpole was removed in 2008).

Canadian International Air Show

Human fascination with flight has made air shows popular since the early days of aviation. Toronto was the site of numerous air shows as it developed into a center of air transportation and aircraft manufacturing in the early twentieth century.

Location: South of the Fort Rouillé monument.

 

The Canadian International Air Show originated in 1946 when the National Aeronautical Association of Canada attracted overflow crowds to a show at De Havilland Airport in Downsview. Staged annually thereafter, the air show moved to Exhibition Place in 1949 and became a regular feature of the Canadian National Exhibition in 1956. Here it developed into a world class exhibition featuring diverse types of aircraft, precision and stunt flying, and aeronautical technology.

Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

Canadian National Exhibition Association

This plaque is erected to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Canadian National Exhibition, 1978, CNE 100 Centennial.

Location: On the west wall of the Queen Elizabeth Building.

 

Officers
President Richard R. Horkins
Honorary President Julian Porter, Q.C.
First Vice-President William R. Allen, Q.C.
Second Vice-President Everett Biggs, C.D., F.A.I.C.
Third Vice-President Alderman Arthur C. Eggleton
General Manager William A. Mallatratt
Assistant General Manager Howard C. Tate
Treasurer Christopher J. Reid, C.A.
Corporate Secretary Shirley P. Hughes

Board of Directors
William A. Harris, William R. Allen, Q.C., Harry I. Price, Vern T. Barber, D.F.C., W. P Freyseng, Howard A. Gilkeson, Jack M. Fraser, Orval J. McKeough, W.H. Evans, Samuel V. Shefsky, George C. Hendrie, Murray Tate, John S. Corrigan, M.N. Vughnich, Douglas V. Palmer, Hon. Eugene F. Whelan, P.C., MP, Julian Porter Q.C., Hon. William G. Newman, M.P.P., Metropolitan Chairman, Everett Biggs, C.D. F.A.I.C., Paul V. Godfrey, P.ENG, Donald G. Davis, D.V.M., Mayor David E. Crombie, Hon. R. Roy McMurtry, Q.C., M.P.P., Mayor Frederick J. Beavis, Margaret E. Ashdown, Alderman Arthur C. Eggleton, Diana L. Goad, Controller Kenneth I. Morrish, C.D., Grant G. Brown, Alderman Joseph J. Piccininni, James D. Fraser, Controller Nora Pownall, Reford W. Gardhouse, Alderman Gordon Risk, Knox M. Henry, Alderman Leslie Saunders, James W. Howell, Controller Esther Shiner, Ward C. Pitfield, Richard R. Horkins, Isabelle M. Johnston, Karl L. Mallette, Gary W. McMahon,
Hon. Jack H. Horner, P.C., M.P., Tommy R. Thompson, Hon. John Rhodes, M.P.P., John B. Withrow, C.D., F.R.S.A., C.A.

Associate Directors
S.C. Malcom Ambler, Donald H. Hartford, W.W. Bartlett, M.D., Reverend Derwyn S. Shea, F.A.P.C., William B. Boggs, O.B.E., F.C.A.S.I., Harold D. Shield, Vern C. German, P.ENG, Neil R. Wood, A. Davidson, C.A., Sam Sniderman, C.M.

Canadian National Exhibition Flagpole

The flagpole is presented to the Canadian National Exhibition by Travel South, U.S.A. and the member states of Alabama, Arkansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Virginia as an expression of appreciation to the many Canadians who visit our states and for their friendships that have evolved over the years.

Location: On a cement marker immediately north of the site of the flagpole (the flagpole was removed in 2008)

 

Dedicated August 18, 1977, in the twenty-fifth year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by the Honourable Pauline M. McGibbon, Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario.

Canadian National Exhibition

The second half of the 19th century was an era in which technological innovation brought rapid economic progress and social change. The spirit of the age was reflected in the annual fair that first opened the site on September 5, 1879.

Location: On a cement marker at the north entrance to Centennial Square

 

Staged by the Industrial Exhibition Association of Toronto, it offered medals and prize money to encourage innovation and improvements in agriculture, manufacturing and the arts. The fair quickly became a popular attraction and a boon to the local economy. A national event since 1912, the CNE continues to showcase Canadian creativity and achievement.
Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation.

Carlsberg Carillon

Carlsberg Carillon presented to the Canadian National Exhibition by Carling O’Keefe Breweries August 1974.

Made by Royal Eijsbouts-Holland

Location: On the east side of the Carillon.

Clapsaddle, Jerry

Jerry Clapsaddle. (b.1941) “Shoreline”, 1996. Coloured concrete pavers.

Location: On east side of concrete wall on outer stairwell after exiting Galleria, Hall B, Enercare Centre.

Coliseum Complex

Coliseum Complex, Exhibition Place

G.F.W. Price, City Architect

The Coliseum erected to showcase The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair and the agricultural programs of the Canadian National Exhibition, opened in 1921.

Location: On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

 

With additions made in 1926, the complex ranked as the largest exhibition space under one roof in the world. Its towers and classical detailing complemented the Beaux Arts Buildings at the west end of the exhibition grounds. During the Second World War, the Coliseum served as a recruitment centre, known as Manning Depot Number One, for the Royal Canadian Air Force. It has hosted a wide range of entertainment and sporting events and has served as a showplace for livestock and other farm products. Today, the Coliseum is part of the Metropolitan Toronto’s National Trade Centre, the largest trade and consumer facility in Canada.
Unveiled by HRH Prince Philip, K.G., K.T., The Duke of Edinburgh.
November 5, 1996
Toronto Historical Board

Coliseum Complex Cornerstone

This stone was laid by Thomas A. Foster, Esquire, Mayor of Toronto on the 31st day of May A.D. 1927.

Location: On exterior wall of the Coliseum Complex, North Extension

Commemorative Employee Bench (12 small plaques)

In Memory Your Colleagues at Exhibition Place

Terry Palmateer 1950 – 2011

Debbie Young 1954 – 2011

Mike Sgouraditis 1966 – 2011

Duncan McKenna 1950 – 2011

Linda Newman 1957 – 2012

Richard Bieler 1941 – 2012

John Scott 1949 – 2012

Reggie Langford 1936 – 2013

John Harlowe 1959 – 2015

Douglas Ardron 1952 – 2016

Donna Vanalstyne 1971 – 2016

Clay Woodcox 1960 – 2016

Location: On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden

Commemorative Employee Bench (1 small plaque)

In Memory Your Colleagues at Exhibition Place

Robert “Bob” Hanson 1933 – 2017

Location: On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden

Construction of National Soccer Stadium

The construction of the National Soccer Stadium was completed on April 11, 2007. This project was made possible through investments by the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto.

Location: On the wall on the northeast side of BMO Field

The Defence of York

Pro Patria

In memory of Captain Neal McNeal, Volunteer Donald Maclean, and the soldiers of the Royal Artillery, 8th Regiment, Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Glengarry Light Infantry, York and Durham Militia, and Indians, killed in action, and their comrades who fought here, facing fearful odds, in defence of the Capital of Upper Canada, 27th April, 1813.

Location: On the concrete base of the lion monument on the south side of Liberty Grand

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Government of Canada – 1928

Delanoë, Bertrand

On the occasion of the visit of his honour Bertrand Delanoë Mayor of Paris, France to celebrate the friendship between Canada and France.

Saturday, September 6, 2003

Mario Silva, Chairman

Board of Governors of Exhibition Place

Location: West of the Fort Rouillé monument

Dryden, William Arthur

In honoured memory of William Arthur Dryden born May 29th 1881 – died Nov. 18th 1949. First President of The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair 1919 – 1923. Managing Director 1936 – 1949.

Location: On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

A great agriculturist. The devoted friend of farmer and breeder.
This tablet was unveiled November 21st, 1950 by His Excellency Field Marshal The Right Honourable The Viscount Alexander of Tunis, K.G., Governor – General of Canada.
Erected by The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Association

Early Exhibition Buildings

These five buildings – the Press (1904), Music (1907), Horticulture (1907), Government (1912), and the Fire Hall and Police Station (1912) – are the largest and the finest group of early 20th century exhibition buildings in Canada.

Location: South lawn of the Press Building

Designed by G. W. Gouinlock, they reflect the influence of the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition of Chicago in their creative classical decoration and ordered integration to a site plan. The first permanent exhibition buildings in Toronto, they are an impressive reminder of the Canadian National Exhibition as the major industrial and agricultural fair of the period.
Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Government of Canada
1. Press Building 2. Fire Hall and Police Station 3. Horticulture Building 4. Government Building (now known as the Arts, Crafts & Hobbies Building) 5. Music Building (originally known as the Railways Building)

Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 1st Base

Exhibition Stadium Site 1st Base

Location: On the ground in the west end of the parking lot south of BMO Field

Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 2nd Base

Exhibition Stadium Site 2nd Base

Location: On the ground in the west end of the parking lot south of BMO Field

Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 3rd Base

Exhibition Stadium Site 3rd Base

Location: On the ground in the west end of the parking lot south of BMO Field

Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque Home Plate

Exhibition Stadium Site Home Plate

Location: On the ground in the west end of the parking lot south of BMO Field

Ex-Calibur

Artist: Sabine and Paul Dhir

Patron: Board of Governors of Exhibition Place

Moose in the City

Location: On base of the moose, east hallway, Galleria, Enercare Centre

Food Building Cornerstone

This stone was laid by James A. Northey President Canadian National Exhibition January 14, 1954

Location: On exterior wall of the Food Building, northeast corner

Fort Rouillé

This cairn marks the exact site of Fort Rouillé, commonly known as Fort Toronto, an Indian trading post and stockade established A.D. 1749 by order of the Government of Louis XV in accordance with the recommendation of the Count de la Galissonierc, Administrator of New France 1717-1749.

Erected by the Corporation of the City of Toronto, A.D. 1878

(wording is on the rock but faded and hard to read)

Location: Next to the Fort Rouillé monument

Fort Rouillé outline

Toronto’s 150th Birthday Celebration

The concrete walkways in this area delineate the walls of Fort Rouillé, a French trading post located on this site from 1750 to 1759.

Location: North of the Fort Rouillé monument

The reconstructed ground plan of Fort Rouillé is based on archaeological excavations conducted in 1979 and 1980 by the Toronto Historical Board, and on an excavation conducted in 1982 by the Youth Committee, Toronto Sesquicentennial Board. Over fifty young people, directed by professional archaeologists, participated in this excavation.
Ground Plan
A Corps de Garde
B Storeroom/ Barracks
C Barracks
D Store and Storekeeper
E Blacksmith
F Officers’ Quarters
G Outbuildings
The 1982 excavation was funded by the City of Toronto, the Toronto Board of Education, and the Ontario Heritage Foundation. Completion of the project was made possible by the co-operation of the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto, Board of Governors of Exhibition Place, Toronto Historical Board, French Language Advisory Committee–Toronto Board of Education, University of Toronto, Toronto’s independent schools, Gannett Foundation, Learnxs Foundation, and the Metropolitan Separate School Board.
Erected 1986
Toronto Sesquicentennial Board
Art Eggleton, Mayor, City of Toronto
David Garrick, Chairman Reginald W. Lewis, President
Alderman Anne Johnston, Vice-President Ruth Eisen, Secretary
Trustee Nola Crowe, Chair, Youth Committee
Alderman Frederick J. Beavis, Alderman Richard Gilbert, Alderman Ben Grys, Alderman Joseph Piccininni, Mike Filey, Stephanie Hetcherson, Les Kovacsi, Frank Lofranco, John McGinnis, Frank Paznar, Paul Rouleau, John Scott, John Sewell, Rhea Shulman, Sandy Stewart, Deborah Woodman.
Roy V. Henderson, City Clerk
Donald A. Brown, Director of Excavations

Fort Rouillé (on monument)

The last French post built in present-day Southern Ontario. Fort Rouillé, more commonly known as Fort Toronto, was erected on this site in 1750-51.

Location: On the Fort Rouillé monument

It was established by order of the Marquis de la Jonquière, Governor of New France, to help strengthen French control of the Great Lakes and was located here near an important portage to capture the trade of Indians travelling southeast toward the British fur-trading center at Oswego. A small frontier post, Fort Rouillé was a palisaded fortification with four bastions and five main buildings. It apparently prospered until hostilities between the French and British increased in the mid-1750s. Following the capitulation of other French posts on Lake Ontario, Fort Rouillé was destroyed by its garrison in July 1759.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture.

Fort Rouillé Re-dedication

This tree was planted and this site received an Ojibway blessing on October 12, 2000.

Location: On a rock on the northwest corner of the cement outline of the fort

A millennium project of the Toronto District School Board, City of Toronto, Learnxs Foundation, Exhibition Place Board of Governors, Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation, Laidlaw, Transit/Education Services and the Société d’histoire de Toronto.

Garden of the Greek Gods

The sculptures for the Garden of the Greek Gods are by E.B. Cox

August 16, 1979

Location: On a rock on the southeast side of the Horticulture Building

Haines, Frederick S.

Frederick S. Haines, R.C.A., O.S.A (1879 – 1960)

The History of Trade and Exploration in Canada, 1929

Oil on canvas, eight panels. Executed with students of the Ontario College of Art. Originally installed in the Government Building, later designated the Arts and Crafts Building, currently the Medieval Times Building.

Location: On the wall, east Galleria of the Enercare Centre

Heritage Entrance and Satok Mural

This entrance was designed to reflect the historic Halls of Fame building which stood near this location until 2006.

Location: On wall inside west entrance of BMO Field

 

Originally constructed in 1961 as the Hockey Hall of Fame, the building was expanded in 1967 to include Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame. The portico and vestibule are faithfully reproduced here through the use of materials salvaged from the Halls of Fame building. Heritage elements include the cast-in-place-folded-plate concrete canopy, its four granite columns and two-story glazing including the original glass doors. Also preserved are the exterior pre-cast-concrete panels. Only the interior blue-grey mosaic tiles on the walls were replaced with modern materials to replicate the original tiles.
Dominating the entrance is the mural “Face-Off” by Canadian artist Ronald Satok. This mural was originally painted, in situ, at the conclusion of the construction of the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1961 using Polymer Tempura. Prior to the demolition of the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2006, to facilitate the construction of The National Soccer Stadium, the mural was carefully removed and later restored and installed in its current location.
Heritage benches located around The National Soccer Stadium were made using granite salvaged from the Hall of Fame. The benches were commissioned by the Board of Governors of Exhibition Place and designed by Canadian artist, Stephen Cruise. They depict historic events or buildings associated with the Exhibition Place site and the annual Canadian National Exhibition.

HMCS York

In honour of the men and the women who entered Canada’s naval service through HMCS York and fought the Battle of the Atlantic 1939-1945.

The Automotive Building was the site of Toronto’s naval reserve division during the Second World War.

“Those that go down to the sea in ships.”

Location: On the north exterior wall, Beanfield Centre

Honouring the Environmental Leadership of WindShare Co-op’s First Members

Location: On the south side of the Wind Turbine

401 Richmond Ltd., Aidan & Shane Ackerley, Active Yoga, Jane Adams, Keith Addison, Brendan Agnew-Iler, David Alexander Alas, Alexandra Park Housing Co-op, Greg Allen, Jason Altenberg, Feodor Alter, Ian Anderson & Margaret Hancock, Margaret Anderson, Robert S. Anglin, Paul Anglin, Gordon & Erika Anglin, Maureen Anglin, Patricia Antonyshyn, Rick Arbour, Antonia Armstrong, Zari Atai, Samuel S.K. Ault, Drew Baillie & Ian Grieve, Rita & Steve Banach, Andrea Barker, M. Barkley & G. Burrows, Ann & Michael Barrett, Alice Lorch Bartels, Dennis Bartels, Bathurst Street United Church, Patricia Bear Claw, Antoine Belaieff, Mary Ellen Belfiore, Michael T. Berger, Jack Bergmans, Robert Bernecky, Donna Biesenthal, Carol Bigwood, Sandra Binns, Peter Bird, Robert Birnie, Harding Ernest Bishop, Steven Boily, David Bolter, Susan Bondy, Greg Bonser, Paula Boutis, Richard Brault & Dianne Croteau, Mike Brigham – Brigham Enterprises, Andrew Brooks, Brian Burch, Helmut Burkhardt, Ida Burkhardt, Danielle Bush, Shari Caldwell, Caldwell & Company, Canstar Enterprises Inc.,Elizabeth Mary Carmichael, Oliver Carroll, Janine Carter, Centauri Summer Arts Camp, Kathryn Chambers, Julie Charles, Clorita Chatto, Ralph & Consorcia Cheek, Kingsley David Chen, D. Cherubin, Raymond Chiu, Dr. Tony Choi, David Chong, Doug Buck & Kate Chung, B. Robin Clark, Karen Louise Clark, Martha Climenhaga, Murray & Lorraine Code, Chris & Martien Coffeng, Mary Connely and Michael Figliano-Connolly, M. Sheila Cook, Cooper/Howard Family, Tara Ruth Cooper, Copacetia Corp., Jim Corston, Fausto Cortese, Jessie Cowperthwaite, Maggie Cowperthwaite, Christopher S.W. Cowperthwaite, Catherine Creede & Anita Bennett, Susan Crofts, Steve Crossman, Andrew Cryne, Steven Cruz, Geana Cruz, Gerald P. Cuccio, Grif Cunningham, Steven A. Curic, Shannon Currie, Winton Dahlstrom & Delia Royibarra, Daily Bread Food Bank, Susan Daly, David Archer Co-operative Inc., Betty Davidson, Beverley Davis, Lynne Davis, Stephen Davis, Sonny Day, James & Judith Deutsch, Niki deVillers, Doreen Dewart, Daniel Di Felice, Riley Doig, Sarah Donald, Deb Doncaster & Ben Sharp, Leslie Donovan, Linda C. Doran, Jim & Audrey Duff, Graeme Duff, Duffy Design Build Ltd., Fiona Duguid, Ellie Duiker, Julian Duncan, Ba Chat Duong, Michael & Alison Dyson, Phyllis Earley, EcoEnergies Canada, Elizabeth & Aled Edwards, Elmer Eldridge, Stephen E. Eldridge, Paul Elia, Jeff Elliott, Susan M. Ellis, Peter & Jacqueline Elton, Enbridge Gas Distribution, Leida & Jerry Englar, Environics International, Environnemental Defence Canada, Alex Fallis, Shirley Farlinger, Anne R. Farquharson, Michael Faulkner, Robert F. Feeney, C.B. Fernandes, Liberato Ferrari, Benedict Fischer, Foodshare Toronto, Judith Forrestal, Terry & Shelly Fowler, Rosemary Frei, Tom & Jacqueline Friedland, Alan Furlong, Carmel Gaffiero, Julia Galbraith, The Gallant Family, Rosemary A. Galloway, Shirley Gibson, Wray Gibson, Rena Ginsberg & Boyd Reimer, Susan Goodwin, David E. Gordon, Jennifer Gordon, Tracey & Todd Graham, Grassroots Albany, David Gray-Donald, James Gray-Donald, Charles Griffin, Elizabeth Griswold, Mary Groh, Joseph Gross, Shrikant & Leela Gudka, Tara & Nestor Gula, Stephen Guy-McGrath, Ed & Donna Hale, Susan Hanrahan, Bruce Hanson, Harbourfront Our Planet Fund, Harman/Stienburg, Georgia Harmer, Jessa Harmer, Sarah Harmer, Anne & Willa Harris, Christopher Harris, Joan Harrison, Michael J. Harrison, Greg Hartl, Craig & Julie Hartley, George P. Hartley, Marcus Emanuel Medeiros Hasou, George Hathaway, Joan Hayes & Ron Varley, Lisa Heath, Gillian Hegge, Susan L. Helwig, Elke Henschel, Engel Hercz Family, The J&P Herman Family, Dave Hermans, Julian Hermary, Kerry Lynn Higgins, Nick Hilborn, Ted Ho, Elaine Hobbs, Vera Honey, Ian & Cheryl Hooper, Daniel Horn, Suzanne Howden, Madelaine Hudson, David Hunsburger, Roberta Hunter, Michael Hurwitz, Ann M. Hutchison, Jonathan Huth, The Hynes-Brown Family, Brian Iler & Mary Brock, Roberto Indrigo, The Isaacs Gallery, Nina Ivanis, Lois James, Scott Janicki, Karen Jeffrey, Rick Jelfs & Morris Dubois, Katherine Jessop, Eric & ZuZu Joanis, Beth Jones, Peter Alan Jones, Dr. Birthe Jorgensen, David Juliusson, ‘Jay Peter & the Buttons’, Zenia Kahan, Sanjiv C. Kalevar & Premsatya C. Kalevar, Mario Kani, Howard & Karen Kaplan, Amtu Karimjee, Karma Co-op, Samantha Kassel, Naomi Katz, Jeff Katz, Donald Kaye, Gavin R. Kennedy, Raymond Kennedy, The Kerrigan Family, Anthony & Mary Ketchum, Martin Kinack, Paula Kiss, Robyn Knapp, Greg Knittl, Joan Koole, Joseph Koole, Ava-Lee Kotler, Ivanka Koulik, Rose Kudlac, Anton Kuerti, Emma Jane Kulmatycki, Catherine Lang, Benjamin Langer, Michaela & Maya Larrondo, Wai-Ming Lau, Ettie Lavine, Sarah Layton, Jerry Lazare, Ron Lea, Stephen Leckie, Jean E. Lee, John Leibycz, David J. Lekx, Donald Lem, Charles Levi, Richard Lewis-Watts, Brian Li, David M. Lieberman, Martin Liefhebber, Andrew Lin & Family, Lillian Ling, Mike & Suri Linsky, John & Carole Linsky, Barry Lipton, Gail Littlejohn, Jose Mario Lopes, Alan Lossing, Norman Loveland, Wendy Lucas, Steven Luscher, Charlie Luxton, Zhong Liu & Xiaoyi Yan, Aaron & Ian Lyssand-Bloom, Dr. Ophelia Lynn MacDonald, Rob MacDonald, M. MacKellar, Harry C. Maclean, David MacLeod, John MacMillian, Joan MacNeil, The Mahy Family, David & Linda Mallette, Linda Manzer, Isabella Markham, Mario Martins, Mary ‘n Gord, Lillian Mason, Thomas A. Mason, Dobson Matsushita, Bob McArthur, Steven McCarrey, Janet McClelland, Troy McClure, Alex & Connor McClyment, Kevin McConnell, Elizabeth McFarlane, Tom McGillis, Jennifer McKay, Kelley McKeating & Bruce Jones. Elaine McKee, McKeeman Computer Consulting Inc., Marilyn & Andy McKim, Lyne McMurchie, Susan McMurray, Justin McNabb, Ruth Mechanicus, M. & M. Medri-Kummerer, Stephan Mehr, Ermens Meneguzzi, Metro Credit Union, Robert Mew, Ellen & William Michelson, Michael & Maya, Sonny Mayer, John Mighton, Isabelle Mikosza, Amanda Mikula, Deidre Millin, Kai Millyard, Georgina Miles, W. Robert Milne, Anna Miransky, Catherine Moffatt, Anthony Monardo, Barbara Montgomery, Jim Montgomery,R. Devan Moodley, Sarah Moore, Judy Morellato, Peggy Lynn Moulder, Mountain Equipment Co-op, Charlotte & Graham Mudge, Adriana Mugnatto-Hamu, Peter Munsche, The Naismith Family, Roman & Diane Nasdiuk, Finnian Newbury, Judy Newman, Alvin Ng, Nathan Ng, Jerome Nguyen, Niagara Neighbourhood Co-op, Marjorie Nichol, Stephen Neil, Bruce Noble, William O’Brien, Molly O’Driscoll-Croke, Jean O’Grady, Ontario Natural Food Co-op, Luke O’Regan, Peter Ormond, R. Pabari, Albert P. Pace, Gladys Page, Steven Page, Janice Palmer, Benjamin Jakub Palmer, Panter Family, Zis & Andrea Parras, N. Richard Parry, Yvonne Parti, Andrew Paterson, Mary Jane Patterson, Jean & Doug Paton, Derek Paul, John Mark Paul, Julian Paul, Jennifer Penney, L.A. Pereira, P.E. Perkins, Susan Peschken, Wendy Peters, Rachel Madeline Peterson, Rein Petersen, Mihail & Michaela Petrovici,Maggie & Tony Pettet, Brian Phillips & Ed Scherer, Zenon & Lukilyan Phillips, Margaret Pietersma, Norman Pikes, Joseph Pillo, Robin B. Pitcher, Janice Pomer, Mark Pomerantz, Kenneth B. Pon, W.G. Powell, Jane & Doug Pritchard, Joyce Proctor, Rob Purdie, Judith Ramsay & Bruce Jones, Tommy Rand, Ellen Rengers, Jan & Edyta Richards, Bob & Dorothy Robertson, William Roberty, Katherine Robson, William A. Roedde, Norman Rogers, Thomas Rohricht, Linda Rosengarten, John Routh, Shannon Roy, Mark S. Rudolph, Ian Russell, Stewart Russel, Jordan Ryder, Graeme Ryder, Matthew Ryder, Paul Sabiston, Liam Sambrook, Elvira Sanchez de Malicki, Beth Savan & Tony Easty, Dianne Saxe, Karl & Debbie Schlicht, Diana Schmidt, Stuart Schoenfeld, Deborah Schoenfeld, Randy Schroeder, Rocco Scocco, Dayna Nadine Scott, Lucy Segatti, Rohit & Christina Sharma, David Sharp & Sandra Rodriguez, Jeanette Shaw, Jocelyn Shaw, Shimie Corp., Les Shulman, Mary Sidgwick, Edward Silhol, Janice Skinner, Skypower Corp., Jason Slidders, Dave Smaller, E. Hope Smith, Jim Smith, Stephen Smith, Nancy & Ben Smith Lea, Chonghye So, Ina Sonin, Ronald & Marion Sorensen, Laura Sparks, Ron Speares, M.J. Speers, Lysander James Spencer, Neil Spiegel, Stacey Electric Company Limited, Janet Stapleton, Christie Elisa Stephenson, John A. Stevens, Scott Stirling, Jim Sugiyama, Linda Sullivan, Summerhill Group, John & Joyce Sutherland, Jeremy Tabarrok, Regan Takenaka, Barbara Tallis, David Tanko, Matthew Tanner, Beth Theis & Tom Chapeskie, Petra Thomas-Grainger, Amy Thompson, Virginia Thompson, M.C. Thurling, David & Heather Timm, Carolyn Topp, Linda Tournay-Lewis, Ted Tracewicz, Sean Tracy, Ian Trites & Caroline O’Brien, Doug Trombley, Richard Tyssen,Unilever Canada, United Employees Credit Union Ltd., Tomoko Uozumi, Kolja & John Vainstein, John & Jean Valleau, Tina Valois, Nikki Vecchiola, Jim & Renee Veenkamp, Vicki Vonzuben, Edward Waitzer,Sage Walker, Michael Wason, Nancy & Bruce Waters, Rosemary Waterson, Richard E. Watts, Bruce A. Weber, Mary P. Webster, Russell Wellner, Cameron George White, Carolyn Whiteman & David Hunt, Robert & Barbara Whitewood, Bill Whiting, J.G. Wigmore, Jason Wilcox, Anthony Wilson, Chris Winter & Nancy Palardy, Cheri L. Wise, Sophie Wojcik, Greg Wonnacott, World, Ralph Carl Wushke & David Vereschagin, Raymond Yee, Bryan Young & Brian Day, Lilah Young, Mila R. Young, Rebecca Young, Fabian Zandomeni, Gary Zavitz, Zephyr North Limited, Melinda Zytaruk

Horse Palace

This tablet was erected to commemorate the construction of this building in the year 1931 by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the Corporation of the City of Toronto.

Location: On the exterior west wall of the Horse Palace

The Right Honourable, Richard Bedford Bennett, PC. KC. LLD. DCL., Prime Minister of Canada
The Honourable, George Stewart Henry, B.A. LLD., Prime Minister of Ontario
The Honourable, Robert Weir BA., Federal Minister of Agriculture
The Honourable Thomas Laird Kennedy, Minister of Agriculture for Ontario
Board of Control – Toronto
WM. J. Stewart ESQ. Mayor
J.G. Ramseden, Vice-Chairman,
A.E. Hacker, W.D. Robbins, James Simpson
J.J. Woolnough Architect

Husain, Malik

This Tree is Dedicated to Malik Husain A Devoted Employee of Exhibition Place and Friend to us all

1997

Location: On a rock east of Scadding Cabin

Jones, Oakah L.

This tree is dedicated to the memory of Oakah L. Jones President of the Canadian National Exhibition. 1969-1970

Sept. 3 1975

Tree donated by Park Lane Nurseries

Location: On a rock on the southwest corner of Centennial Square

Kurtz Mann Inc.

Kurtz Mann Inc. Wayne Mann (b.1948) “Universal Link”, 1997-8. Latex and Acrylic Paints.

Location: In tunnel connecting Enercare Centre and Beanfield Centre. On the east side of the tunnel (coming from Enercare).

LEED Platinum, Enercare Centre

Leadership in energy and environmental design. Leed Platinum · Platine 2019.

Location: On north wall of Hall B in Galleria of the Enercare Centre

LEED Silver, Beanfield Centre

Leadership in energy and environmental design. Leed Silver · Argent 2012.

Location: On north interior wall of the Beanfield Centre lobby

Lexier, Micah

Micah Lexier (b.1960) “The Hall of Names”, 1997. Stainless Steel.

Location: On the wall on north side of Galleria, Enercare Centre, at the east end, near the beginning of the art installation.

Livestock Medallion, c. 1926

Cast stone

Originally sited on Coliseum Complex.

Location: On the northeast exterior wall of the Enercare Centre

Livestock Medallions and Decorative Plaques c. 1926

Livestock Medallions, c. 1926 cast stone

Originally sited on Coliseum Complex.

Decorative Plaques, c. 1926 cast stone

Originally sited on south façade of the Industry Building, Coliseum Complex.

Location: On the west exterior wall of the Enercare Centre

McGillivray, John A.

Presented by Gordon B. McGillivray in honour of his father John A. McGillivray, K.C.

A former president of the Canadian National Exhibition

Created 1968 by Gerald Gladstone sculptor

Location: On the fountain, southeast of the Dufferin Gate and in Centennial Square

McKechnie, Charles Duncan

Charles Duncan McKechnie (1865-1935) “Statues of Industry”, c.1928. Cast Stone. Originally located on top of the entrance colonnade of the Electrical and Engineering Building. Statues restored in 1997.

Location: On wall beside the door leading to the Coliseum East Annex in Heritage Court.

MLS All Star Game

MLS All Star Game, Toronto, July 2008

Tourism Toronto, Toronto Convention & Visitors Association

Crest: Pepsi All Star, 2008, Toronto, Canada, MLS

Location: On a rock on the east side of the Better Living Centre

Molson Indy

July 14, 1996 In memory of Jeff Krosnoff and Gary Avrin who lost their lives in a racing accident during their final laps of the 1996 Molson Indy Race at Exhibition Place

Location: West of the west bridge to Ontario Place

Forever in our memories.
Jeff Krosnoff 1964-1996 “Stay Hungry”
Gary Arvin 1952-1996
Exhibition Place, Heritage Toronto

Mungcal, Sito

This plaque and viewing bench commemorates the life of Sito Mungcal (May 25, 1945 – November 5, 2009) whose service contributions were most evident at Exhibition Place from 1986 until 2009.

Location: On the lawn south of the Better Living Centre and east of the Rose Garden

Throughout his life, Sito was known for his irreverence, his honesty and warmth for people, his open heart, welcoming smile and his zest for life.
Sito enriched the lives of many and will always be remembered fondly by his co-workers, his many friends at Toronto City Hall and in the broader community.

The Music Building

The Music Building was restored in part under a Cost-Sharing Agreement between the Canadian Parks Service of Environment Canada, the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto and the Board of Governors of Exhibition Place. This agreement was facilitated by the Toronto Historical Board.

Location: On the exterior west wall of the Music Building

The National Soccer Stadium In Recognition

The National Soccer Stadium In Recognition

Location: On the exterior north wall of BMO Field

The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place
May 2005 – November 2006
Joe Pantalone, Chair
Members
Gloria Lindsay Luby, Vice Chair
Rene Foisy-Marquis, Adam Giambrone, Mark Grimes, Knox Henry,
Rocco Maragna, Jim McMillen, Andre Tellier, Karl Wahl, Sylvia Watson, John Weatherup, Deborah Woodman
Dianne Young, Chief Executive Officer
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., Partner
Brisbin Brook Beynon, Architect
PCL Constructors Canada Inc., Builder
Council of the City of Toronto
May 2005 – November 2006
David Miller, Mayor
Members
Joe Pantalone, Deputy Mayor, Gerry Altobell (to June 2006), Paul Ainslie (from Feb. 2006) Brian Ashton, Maria Augimeri, Bas Balkissoon (to December 2005), Harvey Barron (from July 2006), Sandra Bussin, Shelley Carroll, Raymond Cho, Olivia Chow (to December 2005), Gay Cowbourne, Janet Davis, Glenn De Baermaeker, Michael del Grande, Frank Di Giorgio, Mike Feldman, John Filion, Paula Fletcher, Rob Ford, Adam Giambrone, Mark Grimes, Suzan Hall, Douglas Holyday, Cliff Jenkins, Norman Kelly, Gloria Lindsay Luby, Peter Li Preti, Giorgio Mammoliti, Pam McConnell, Joe Mihevc, Peter Milczyn, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Howard Moscoe, Frances Nunziata, Case Ootes, Cesar Palacio, Jane Pitfield, Kyle Rae, Bill Saundercook, David Shiner, Martin Silva (from Feb. 2006), David Soknacki, Karen Stintz, Michael Walker, Sylvia Watson

The National Trade Centre

Location: Inside the southeast entrance to the Enercare Centre (across from Beanfield Centre)

In Recognition
Exhibition Place Board of Governors
August 1994 – April 1997
Joe Pantalone, Chair, C. Dennis Flynn, Vice Chair
Orrin O. Benn, Robert Bowman, William Bryden, Frederick Eisen, Fred Finlayson, Dennis Fotinos, Mario Gentile, Marshall A. Golden, Eva Gordon, Barbara Hall, Carole Kerbel, Joan King, Sam Kotzer, Kenneth Lantz, David Miller, Maureen Prinsloo, June Rowlands, Sam Sniderman, Richard Stackhouse, Alan Tonks, Paul M. Valenti, J. David Windrim
Peter J. Moore, Chief General Manager
Roger J. Floyd, Project Director, The RPA Group
Cecil S. Holtrop, Project Manager, Marshall Macklin Monaghan Limited
Michael O’Malley, Construction Manager, PCL Design Constructors, Inc.
Eberhard Ziedler / Peter Warren, Ziedler Roberts Partnership/ Dunlop Farrow Inc. – Architects
Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto Council
August 1994 – 1997
Alan Tonks, Chairman, Brian Ashton, Maria Augimeri, Ila Bossons, Fergy Brown, Scott Cavalier, Raymond Cho, Gordon Chong, Olivia Chow, Paul Christie, Mike Colle, Caroline DiGiovanni, Frank Faubert, C. Dennis Flynn, Dennis Fotinos, Norm Gardner, Mario Gentile, Lois Griffin, Barbara Hall, Brian Harrison, Roger Hollander, Douglas Holyday, Dave Johnson, Anne Johnston, Norman Kelly, Blake F. Kinahan, Joan King, Marie Labatte, Mel Lastman, Jack Layton, David Miller, Ken Morrish, Howard Moscoe, Frances Nunziata, Dick O’Brien, Peter Oyler, Case Ootes, Joe Pantalone, Maureen Prinsloo, Michael Prue, June Rowlands, Bev Salmon, Judy Sgro, Derwyn Shea, Bruce Sinclair, Joyce Trimmer, Paul M. Valenti
Official Inauguration by
The Right Honourable Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada
The Honourable Mike Harris, Premier of Ontario
Chairman Alan Tonks, The Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto
Councillor Joe Pantalone, Chair, Board of Governors, Exhibition Place, April 25, 1997. This project was funded under the Canada/Ontario Infrastructure Works Program

The National Trade Centre Art Advisory Committee

Joe Pantalone, Chair, Joe Berridge, Dan McAlister, Peter Moore, Peter Warren, Cecil Holtrop, Karen Mills, Terry Nicholson

Supported by Neal Barkhust, Sito Mungcal, Roger Floyd, Don Odbert

Location: On wall inside the east entrance to the Enercare Centre and next to underground parking entrance at halls C & D

The Painter’s Eye (mosaic)

[There is currently no plaque marking The Painter’s Eye]

Location: The original plaque for the Painter’s Eye was created for the mural’s location in a garden on the east side of the Medieval Times Building. After The Painter’s Eye was moved to the Better Living Centre, the plaque was put in storage in Records & Archives.

The Princes' Gates (Official Opening)

The Princes’ Gates were officially opened on Tuesday August the thirteenth M.D.C.C.C.C. XXVII by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales

Accompanied by H.R.H. Prince George. First to pass through the gates was a veterans’ parade under the auspices of The Canadian Legion of The British Empire Service League for review by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales.

Location: On the inside arch of the Princes’ Gates

Piazza Princes' Gates (1)

In 2005, a design competition was held for the revitalization of the important public space in front of the Princes’ Gates. Building on strong connections between Canada and Italy, design teams consisting of firms from Milano and Toronto were invited to submit proposals.

Location: Northeast side of the Princes’ Gates

An international jury selected the winning team of Sering + Sistema Duemila (Milano) – The MBTW Group (Toronto). Their design interprets the theme, “Canada Past, Canada Present, Canada Future,” and presents the revitalization project as a beacon of shared culture, friendship and design between Milano and Toronto.
The landscape elements of this redesigned piazza celebrate the Princes’ Gates, and the Canada-Italy connection.
Ten long bands of Canadian granite interpret the original symbolism of the Gates’ columns into the surface of the piazza – each is engraved with the motto of a Canadian province. Seating blocks at the end of the granite bands are marked with the name of the corresponding province or a territory. The blocks are crafted of twinned pieces of granite representing Milano and Toronto – joined together by light.
The Princes’ Gates Revitalization Project is central to the twinning agreement between Milano and Toronto to promote business, trade and cultural relations between the two cities. This public project was also generously supported by the private sector.
Mayor David Miller, Toronto
Mayor Gabriele Albertini, Milano
Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone, Committee Chair
Rudolph Bratty, Q.C., Barry Fenton, and Mark Mandelbaum, Fund Raising Co-Chairs
Rocco Maragna, Competition Advisor
Italian Chamber of Commerce of Toronto, Facilitator
Susan Samuel, Project Manager
Piazza Princes’ Gates was officially opened on July 19, 2006.

Piazza Princes' Gates (2)

The City of Toronto wishes to thank the persons and organizations who contributed to the successful completion of the Princes’ Gates Revitalization Project.

Location: Northeast side of the Princes’ Gates

They include the following:
Project Steering Committee
Stephen Benjamin, Colin Booth, Rudolph Bratty, Q.C., Danny Chui, Dan Clement, Rita Davies, Barry Fenton, Joe Halstead, Italian Chamber of Commerce of Toronto, Andrew Koropeski, Peter Lenis, Brenda Librecz, Alka Lukatela, Lynda Macdonald, Mark Mandelbaum, Rocco Maragna, Karen Mills, Sito Mungcal, Terry Nicholson, John Niedra, David O’Brien CEO Toronto Hydro, Corrado Paina, Eric Pedersen, Sherry Pedersen, Mark Procunier, Susan Samuel, Karen Thorne-Stone, Rebecca Ward, Rebecca Wolfe, Dianne Young
Contractor, Grascan Construction Ltd.
Donors
Allan Window Technologies Ltd., Appliance Canada, Canalfa Group (2000) Inc., Fletchcreek Developments Ltd., Greenco Project Management Inc: David Green, Grossman Holdings: George Grossman, IBI Group, Lanterra Developments Ltd., Mega City Tiling, Plazacorp Investments Ltd. St. Paul Guarantee Insurance Co., The Remington Group, Wittington Properties Ltd., Wycliffe International Inc: Earl Gorman
Project Team
The MBTW Group: Patrick Bollenberghe, David McWhirter, Roberto Narduzzo, Yvonne Yeung, Gustavo Maurano
Sering SRL: Frederico Pella, Fausto Pella
Sistema Duemila SRL: Anna Milella, Massimo Giuliani, Sandro Benedetti, Fernando Cristobal Cordero, Enrico Magistretti
AL/GC Scultordi Di Giardini: Attilio Lundardi
Mayor David Miller, Toronto
Mayor Gabriele Albertini, Milano
Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone, Committee Chair

Price, Arthur

Arthur Price

(b. 1918)

“Man Above Matter”, 1962 Commissioned for the 1962 south addition to the Coliseum Complex. Sculpture relocated 1997.

Location: On the base of the sculpture, north side of the Better Living Centre

Princess Margaret Fountain

In 1911, a fountain, which was a replica of one in St. Peter’s Square, Rome, Italy, was erected on site and presented to the Canadian National Exhibition by Mr. George H. Gooderham during his final year as President. That fountain was replaced by the present one in 1958.

Location: On the south side of the fountain

Queen Elizabeth Building

This stone was laid by William A. Harris Honorary President Canadian National Exhibition

15 May 1957

Location: On the south wall of the Queen Elizabeth Building near the entrance to the Theatre

The Queen's Rangers

The young province of Upper Canada (Ontario) required troops to defend it and to build public works essential to its development. The Queen’s Rangers was the first regiment raised in Britain specifically for service in the colony.

Location: East of the west bridge to Ontario Place

It arrived in 1792 and was stationed in York (Toronto) in 1793. Over the next three years the regiment constructed government buildings and fortifications. It also cut important roads through the forest, including Yonge Street north to the Holland River, and Governor’s Road (Dundas Street) west to London. In 1794 detachments were posted along the Great Lakes in response to mounting tensions on the frontier with the United States. When the regiment was disbanded in 1802, many of its men settled on lands in nearby Etobicoke Township.
Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation

Ram's Head Keystones

(c. 1926)

Cast stone

The base of this bench is made of keystones from the Sheep Pavilion, Coliseum Complex

Location: On the wall in the east Galleria of the Enercare Centre

Ricoh

In commemoration of a proud partnership between Ricoh Canada Inc., the Toronto Marlies and Ricoh Coliseum.

Location: On the west wall in the lobby of the Coca Cola Coliseum

Thank you Ricoh Canada Inc. for your support.
Richard Peddie, President & CEO, MLSE
Martin Brodigan, President & CEO, Ricoh Canada Inc.
Robert J. Hunter, Executive Vice President, MLSE
John Ferguson, Vice President and General Manager, Toronto Maple Leafs
Mike Fast, Director of Marketing, Ricoh Canada Inc.
Mike Penny, General Manager, Toronto Marlies

Ricoh Coliseum

Sports and Entertainment Centre

Home of the Toronto Roadrunners

Location: On the wall in the upper concourse of the Ricoh Coliseum (renamed to Coca Cola Coliseum in July 2018), 300 level, next to the elevators

A Renovation project financed through a public-private partnership
Officially opened on November 1, 2003
Board of Governors of Exhibition Place, Mario Silva Chairman, Dianne Young, General Manager & CEO
Borealis Infrastructure Management Inc., Michael Norbrega, President & CEO, Michael Rolland, Senior Vice President
Toronto Roadrunners Hockey Club, Lyle Abraham, Chairman, Ernie Coetzee, President

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair 80th Anniversary

In recognition of the visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II during her Golden Jubilee Year, and to commemorate the 80th Anniversary of The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair

October 9, 2002

Location: On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Association of Canada

The Charter Members of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Association of Canada Incorporated on 24th November 1919

Location: On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

William Arthur Dryden, Herbert Coplin Cox, James Morrison, Ovando W. Waller, Harry McGee, Harry Mason Robinson, Charles Frederick Bailey, Alfred Rogers, William Inglis, George Pepper, George Stewart Henry, Lawson Omar Clifford, John Dufferin Brien, William Wallace Ballantyne, Edward Clarke Hodgkinson (Bud) Tisdale, James Martin Gardhouse, Edward Heath Stonehouse, Herbert Dudley Smith, John McKee, John Hare Saunders, Robert McEwen, Joseph Edward Brethour, Joseph Edward Day, Harry Middleton Pettit, Duncan Ontario Bull, William Smith

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair and Canadian National Exhibition

This plaque has been erected by The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Association and The Canadian National Exhibition Association as an expression of their appreciation of the contribution made by The Corporation of the City of Toronto, The Government of Canada and The Government of Ontario in providing facilities for the promotion of Canadian agriculture. November, 1963.

Location: On the wall in the stairwell leading to the RAWF offices off the rotunda.

Royal Canadian Air Force

In honour of one hundred & thirty nine thousand seven hundred & fifty two members of the Royal Canadian Air Force who passed through Number 1 Manning Depot R.C.A.F. during the war 1939-1945. Erected by the officers

Location: On the wall in entranceway to the lobby of the RAWF offices

The Royal Canadian Dragoons

1883 1983

This Centennial Plaque was placed by Royal Canadian Dragoons at this 1892-1940 Garrison Site.

Location: On wall inside the main entrance of Stanley Barracks

Royal Canadian Regiment

A Century Of Service

This Plaque Commemorates the Centennial of The Royal Canadian Regiment, Canada’s oldest permanent force infantry regiment. Known originally as The Infantry School Corps, “C” company was raised in Toronto. Elements of the regiment garrisoned Toronto from 1884-1939

1883 VRI Canadian The Royal Regiment 1983

Location: On wall inside the main entrance of Stanley Barracks

Sakura Tree

This Sakura tree is one of 68 trees donated to Exhibition Place by the Sakura Project and Mr. Takashi KOEZUKA, Consul of Japan and Chair of the Sakura Committee

The aim of the Sakura Project is to plant three thousand Japanese Flowering Cherry Trees throughout Ontario. The Sakura tree represents friendship and good will between Japan and Canada

May 16, 2002

Location: Southeast of Liberty Grand

Scadding Cabin (on rock)

John Scadding (1754-1824). The manager of Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe’s estate in Devonshire, arrived in Canada in 1792, and came to York with Simcoe the following year. He was granted 250 acres east of the Don River where, in 1794, he built a log cabin. He lived in England from 1796 to 1818 but returned to York and sold the cabin and part of his land to William Smith Jr., whose descendants, along with the York Pioneer and Historical Society, moved the cabin here in 1879.

Toronto Historical Board – 1978

Location: On a rock, relocated in 2012 to the west side of the Scadding Cabin garden (original location was on the east side near the front door of the cabin)

Scadding Cabin

This log cabin, Toronto’s oldest known surviving house, was constructed for John Scadding in 1794 during the first years of British settlement.

Location: On the east side of the cabin

Scadding was a government clerk and close friend of Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe. The cabin stood on the east side of the Don River on a 253 acre land grant that stretched north from Lake Ontario to present-day Danforth Avenue. Scadding lived there until he went back to England with the Simcoes in 1796. When Scadding returned to York in 1818, he sold the cabin and its property to farmer William Smith, who used the cabin as an outbuilding. In 1879, the Smith family offered the cabin to the 10-year old York Pioneers Association; Scadding’s son Henry, a prominent Toronto historian, was a founding member.
In the summer of 1879, in an early act of Toronto heritage preservation, the York Pioneers dismantled the cabin and reassembled it at this location for the inaugural Toronto Industrial Exhibition, now the Canadian National Exhibition.
Erected by the York Pioneer and Historical Society, Heritage Toronto, 2012

Shrine Peace Memorial

On June 12, 1930 this Peace Memorial was presented to the people of Canada by Imperial Potenata Noble Leo V. Youngworth, on behalf of the 600,000 members of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine to commemorate the peaceful relationship existing for over a century between Canada and the United States.

Location: South of the fountain in the Rose Garden

This gift was received by Noble the Honourable George S. Henry Potentate of Rameses Shrine Temple Toronto, representing the citizens of Canada. On August 20, 1958 the surrounding garden and fountain, created by Toronto Parks Department was officially opened and the Memorial was re-dedicated to the cause of peace by Noble the Right Honourable John G. Diefenbaker, P.C., Prime Minister of Canada.

Sir Douglas Fir

From the Shawnigan Lake Region of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, this Douglas Fir Flagpole is 184 feet in height, has a tip diameter of 15 inches, a butt diameter of 33 inches, weighs 35,000 pounds and is approximately 350 years old. It was erected by the Canadian National Exhibition Association in 1977 to replace the original flagpole which is described below.

Location: On concrete marker and below the Canadian National Exhibition Flagpole plaque

Stanley Barracks

The British army established a military post here in 1840-41 to replace aging Fort York.

Location: Northeast corner of Stanley Barracks

Known as the New Fort, it consisted of seven limestone buildings around a parade square, and a number of lesser structures. Massive defensive works were planned for the perimeter but never built. In 1893 the fort was renamed Stanley Barracks in honour of Governor General Lord Stanley. Canadian forces assumed responsibility for the post in 1870 and garrisoned it until 1947. The barracks then served as public housing until the early 1950’s, when all but this building, the Officers’ Quarters, were demolished.
Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation

Stone Cornice and Cast Tympanum

(c. 1926)

This bench is made from the cornice and tympanum of the Industry Building, Coliseum Complex

Location: Inside west entrance to Heritage Court

Strekalovskikh, Vladimir Bench

In Memory from your colleagues at Exhibition Place – Operations

Vladimir Strekalovskikh

1951 – 2008

Location: On a bench on the south lawn of the General Services Building

Tam, Elaine Bench

Elaine Tam

1962 – 2006

In loving memory from your family at Exhibition Place

Location: On a bench on the south lawn of the General Services Building

Toronto 2015 Pan Am / Parapan Am

A legacy of the TORONTO 2015 Pan American and Parapan American Games, the largest Games ever held in Canada, proudly supported by the Province of Ontario

Location: On south interior wall of the Enercare Centre entrance

Toronto Industrial Exhibition

This tablet is erected to perpetuate the memory of the founders of this exhibition which was first held on these grounds 1879.

Location: On west wall of the Queen Elizabeth Building

Original officers 1879
President John J. Withrow
Vice presidents Capt. W. F. McMaster W.M Rennie
Manager and Treasurer James McGee
Secretary H.J. Hill
Board of Directors
J.J. Withrow, J, McGee, W.F. McMaster, W. Rennie, A. Smith, J. Fleming, P.G. Close, W. Christie, G. Booth, A. Mc Gregor, W.H Doel, W.B. Hamilton, G. Leslie Jr., D.C. Ridout, John Hallam, L.R. O’Brien, W.H Howland, S. Wilson, R. Barber
This tablet was erected by the Directors of the Canadian National Exhibition, 1909

Toronto-Rochester

1834-1934

Toronto-Rochester

For a century bound by the ties of ancestry, culture, friendship and sportsmanship

This tree dedicated to a perpetuation of these ideals.

Location: On a rock on the southeast side of Liberty Grand

Ukrainian Plaque

Thousands of Ukrainians and other Europeans were needlessly imprisoned as “enemy aliens” during Canada’s national internment operations of 1914-1920.

Location: Northwest end of the Enlisted Men’s Barracks

The Stanley Barracks Receiving Station was used for this purpose between 14 December 1914 and 2 October 1916. Stanley Barracks constructed in 1841 to replace Fort York, stood on this site until 1953. Only the Officers’ Quarters remain, located due south of this plaque.
Placed by the Ukrainian Canadian Civil Liberties Association & Ukrainian Community of Ontario, in co-operation with the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Tenn Sherchenko. 2 October 1998

Vimy Oaks Legacy

Vimy Oaks Legacy

Legs des Chenes de Vimy

These Vimy Oaks are true descendants of the fallen oak trees that were destroyed during the Battle of Vimy Ridge, France, April 9-12, 1917.

Acorns from the many fallen oaks (not a single one survived) were gathered and sent home to Scarborough, Ontario by a Canadian soldier, Lt. Leslie Miller, who fought in that battle. The acorns were planted on the family farm, later named “The Vimy Oaks” and still flourish there today.

These Vimy Oaks are a living tribute to all Canadian soldiers who fought in the First World War.

2017 Location: On lawn, south of Bandshell Café in the Rose Garden

The Warriors Day Parade

At the end of the First World War (1914-1918), activities took place across Canada to commemorate the country’s wartime efforts and to honour the over 60,000 Canadians lost.

Location: Northeast of Beanfield Centre

One of the most significant and lasting events was a veterans’ parade held at the Canadian National Exhibition in 1919. Edward, Prince of Wales, opened the Exhibition and conducted a military review of the thousands of veterans who attended. In 1921, the annual parade became the highlight of the Exhibition New Warrior’s Day (later Warriors’ Day). The Warrior’s Day Parade has marched through ‘the Princes’ Gates since 1927, honouring the veterans and the over 100,000 who perished in the Boer War, the Great War, the Second World War, the Korean War and in peacekeeping missions around the world.
Ontario Heritage Foundation, as agency of the government of Ontario

Westervelt, Alexander Pattullo

In honoured memory of Alexander Pattullo Westervelt

Born Dec 3rd 1873 – died July 28th 1936

Manager of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair 1922 – 1936

Location: On the wall in the lobby outside the main-floor entrance to the RAWF offices (also called the Coliseum Rotunda)

He served Canadian Agriculture in its highest branches with zeal and enthusiasm contributed to its prosperity and by able administration was instrumental in placing the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in high rank among agricultural exhibitions on this continent.
This tablet was unveiled November 20th 1956
By his Excellency the Governor-General of Canada
The Right Honourable the Lord Tweedsmuir, G.C.M.G., C.H.
In the presence of former associates and friends.
Erected by the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Association.

The Withrow Family

This plaque has been placed here to honour the Withrow family for their many contributions to the CNE, including its founding, and to the City of Toronto

Location: On the exterior west wall of the Press Building

John J. Withrow, 1834-1900
City of Toronto Alderman, 1873-1878
Chairman of the Board of Massey Hall, 1849-1899
President, Toronto Industrial Exhibition Association, 1879-1900
Norman M. Withrow, 1875-1963
General Manager, Massey Hall, 1910-1932
John B. Withrow, 1910-2000
Governor, Massey Hall & Roy Thompson Hall, 1975-2000
Director, CNE Association, 1974-2000
William J. Withrow, 1926-
C.M, O.ONT
Director of CEO, Art Gallery of Ontario, 1960-1991
Director, CNE Association, 1998-2004
The Canadian National Exhibition Association 2005

Youth and Environment

Presented on behalf of Canada Dry Limited by the Honourable James A.C. Auld, Minister of the Environment, Province of Ontario to the Youth Committee of the Canadian National Exhibition on Youth and Environment Day – August 30, 1972

Location: West lawn of the Queen Elizabeth Building in front of a sculpture by E.B. Cox

American Elm

Largest and oldest American Elm at Exhibition Place, part of these grounds for over a century, survivor of Dutch Elm Disease, living symbol of strength, resilience and endurance.

August 24, 2004

Location: Originally located on a rock west of the Press Building. Removed June 21, 2018 after elm tree was removed due to Dutch Elm disease. Stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3

Coliseum

This building was erected by the corporation of the City of Toronto

The corner stone was laid July 27th 1921 by his Worship Mayor Church and the arena was formally opened by him on December 16th 1921.

G.F.W. Price Architect

Anglin-Norcross Ltd Contractors

Currently in storage: Originally located outside the Coliseum. Removal date unknown. Stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3 since 1989 or prior to that date.

Exhibition Stadium

This site has been home to four grandstands built in 1878, 1895, 1907 and 1948 and the venue for countless sporting events, gala stage shows and military pageants.

Currently in storage: Originally on a rock, located on the site of the old Grandstand but removed in 2006 when the soccer stadium was built. Now stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3

In 1977, a stadium was added to the south creating an expanded sports facility for the Toronto Blue Jays (American Baseball League) and the Toronto Argonauts (Canadian Football League). Demolition of the fourth Grandstand and Stadium was completed in 1999.
City of Toronto Board of Governors of Exhibition Place

G20 Toronto

Canada 2010

The Government of Canada has installed this living wall system as part of the positive environmental legacy of the G-20 Summit that was held in Toronto on June 26 and June 27, 2010. Removed October 2019. Stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building

Gooderham Fountain, 1911 (cornerstone of fountain)

This fountain was erected and presented to the Industrial Exhibition Association of Toronto by George H. Gooderham M.P.P. August 28th 1911. Stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3

Grandstand

This Grandstand was erected by the Corporation of the City of Toronto. Stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3

Commenced in April 1947 and officially opened on Friday August 27, 1948
By His Worship the Mayor Hiram E. McCallum
Board of Control: D. A. Balfour, Vice Chairman, J.M. Innes M.B.E.
K.B. McKellar, E.C. Roelofson
Aldermen: Wm. H. Collings, Nathan Phillips, K.C., W. Frank Clifton, Leonard M. Reilly, Wm. C. Davidson, K.C., Charles Rowntree, Harold Fishleigh, Leslie H. Saunders, Norman Freed, J.L. Shannon, K.C., Arthur Frost, Charles Sims, George P. Granell, Chas. A. Walton,
Allan A. Lamport, E.L. Weaver, K.C., Roy S. Mealing, M.W. Wilson, K.C.
K.S. Gillies Commissioner of Buildings
Marani & Morris Architects
Pigott Construction Co. Ltd., General Contractors

LEED Gold, Enercare Centre

Leadership in energy and environmental design. LEED Gold Or 2014

Location: Originally located on north wall of Hall B in the Enercare Centre. Removed August 15, 2019. Stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3

The Painter’s Eye (mosaic and garden)

We participate in the outgoing transformation of the world

We are inspired, create, teach and we change.

“The Painter’s Eye” Mosaic

By Ronald Satok, 1959

Currently in storage: Removed from the garden on the east side of Medieval Times and now stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3

Donated by Ernest J.T. Hayes, Reeves (Canada) Ltd. In the mosaic the artist struggles to express feelings about life: a mother and child, lovers, a bird flying free…a woman of temptation and a worker, his head towards heaven…
“The Painter’s Eye Garden” by Marla Renée Keyes tactile map of the garden for the visually impaired

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair

This tablet placed by the Corporation of the City of Toronto

Thomas Foster, Esquire, Mayor. Stored in Records & Archives, General Services Building, Location 3

In appreciation of the Services Rendered by E.M. Carroll, Esquire,
President of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair 1924 -1925-1926
And to commemorate the erection of this building in the year 1927,
By the Government of Canada and The Province of Ontario
Right Honourable W.L. Mackenzie King, C. M. G. Prime Minister of Canada, Honourable G. Howard Ferguson, Prime Minister of Ontario,
Honourable W.R. Motherwell Minister of Agriculture for Canada,
Honourable J.S. Martin, Minister of Agriculture for Ontario
J.J. Woolnough Architect

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 1: South Grandstand 1976 – 1999

Exhibition Stadium Site

South Grandstand

1976-1999

Currently in storage: In the basement of the Better Living Centre near the east loading dock entrance

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 2: North Grandstand 1948 – 1999

Exhibition Stadium Site

North Grandstand

1948-1999

Currently in storage: In the basement of the Better Living Centre near the east loading dock entrance

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 3: Football Northeast Corner

Exhibition Stadium Site

Football

NE Corner

Currently in storage: In the basement of the Better Living Centre near the east loading dock entrance

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 4: Football Southwest Corner

Exhibition Stadium Site

Football

SW Corner

Currently in storage: In the basement of the Better Living Centre near the east loading dock entrance

Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 5: Football Southeast Corner

Exhibition Stadium Site

Football

SE Corner

Currently in storage: In the basement of the Better Living Centre near the east loading dock entrance

Steam Tug

Steam Tug “Ned Hanlan”

Donated by the Metropolitan Toronto

The Preservation of this vessel was made possible by the generosity of David Macdonald Stewart, President, Macdonald Tobacco Inc.

Restored by the Toronto Historical Board, 1972

Relocated: Originally located west of Stanley Barracks this plaque was moved by the City of Toronto in 2013 and is now located at Hanlan’s Point, Centre Island.

Hanlan, Edward

1855-1908 Ned Hanlan was born in Toronto. In an era when rowing was a highly popular spectator sport in the English-speaking world, he was the sport’s greatest exponent. Relocated: Originally located west of Stanley Barracks, this plaque was moved by the City of Toronto in 2013 and is now located at Hanlan’s Point, Centre Island

He became Canadian Champion in 1877 and shortly thereafter American and English champion. He won the world title in 1880, retaining it until 1884. When Hanlan retired from sculling in 1897, after approximately 350 matches, he had been defeated only some six times. Popularly known as “The Boy in Blue”, he was one of Canada’s first national sporting heroes and was the focus of public adulation in his home city until his death.
Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada – Government of Canada

Royal Canadian Mounted Police

1873-1973

To bring law and order to the Canadian west, the North west mounted police was formed in 1873. Here, at the ‘new fort’, was one of the first recruiting centers for the assembly and training of the force.

Toronto Historical Board

Relocated: Originally on a rock, north of Stanley Barracks and then temporarily moved to Records & Archives in the General Services Building, this plaque was removed from the rock in 2016 and sent to the RCMP office in Ottawa.

 

"83"
Baden-Powell, Lord Robert of Gilwell
Bandshell (erection)
The Bandshell
Bell, Marilyn
Better Living Center City of Toronto
Bone, Percy
British Columbia Fir Flagpole
Canadian International Air Show
Canadian National Exhibition Association
Canadian National Exhibition Flagpole
Canadian National Exhibition
Carlsberg Carillon
Clapsaddle, Jerry
Coliseum Complex
Coliseum Complex Cornerstone
Commemorative Employee Bench (12 small plaques)
Commemorative Employee Bench (1 small plaque)
Construction of National Soccer Stadium
The Defence of York
Delanoë, Bertrand
Dryden, William Arthur
Early Exhibition Buildings
Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 1st Base
Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 2nd Base
Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque 3rd Base
Exhibition Stadium Baseball Plaque Home Plate
Ex-Calibur
Food Building Cornerstone
Fort Rouillé
Fort Rouillé outline
Fort Rouillé (on monument)
Fort Rouillé Re-dedication
Garden of the Greek Gods
Haines, Frederick S.
Heritage Entrance and Satok Mural
HMCS York
Honouring the Environmental Leadership of WindShare Co-op’s First Members
Horse Palace
Husain, Malik
Jones, Oakah L.
Kurtz Mann Inc.
LEED Platinum, Enercare Centre
LEED Silver, Beanfield Centre
Lexier, Micah
Livestock Medallion, c. 1926
Livestock Medallions and Decorative Plaques c. 1926
McGillivray, John A.
McKechnie, Charles Duncan
MLS All Star Game
Molson Indy
Mungcal, Sito
The Music Building
The National Soccer Stadium In Recognition
The National Trade Centre
The National Trade Centre Art Advisory Committee
The Painter’s Eye (mosaic)
The Princes' Gates (Official Opening)
Piazza Princes' Gates (1)
Piazza Princes' Gates (2)
Price, Arthur
Princess Margaret Fountain
Queen Elizabeth Building
The Queen's Rangers
Ram's Head Keystones
Ricoh
Ricoh Coliseum
Royal Agricultural Winter Fair 80th Anniversary
Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Association of Canada
Royal Agricultural Winter Fair and Canadian National Exhibition
Royal Canadian Air Force
The Royal Canadian Dragoons
Royal Canadian Regiment
Sakura Tree
Scadding Cabin (on rock)
Scadding Cabin
Shrine Peace Memorial
Sir Douglas Fir
Stanley Barracks
Stone Cornice and Cast Tympanum
Strekalovskikh, Vladimir Bench
Tam, Elaine Bench
Toronto 2015 Pan Am / Parapan Am
Toronto Industrial Exhibition
Toronto-Rochester
Ukrainian Plaque
Vimy Oaks Legacy
The Warriors Day Parade
Westervelt, Alexander Pattullo
The Withrow Family
Youth and Environment
American Elm
Coliseum
Exhibition Stadium
G20 Toronto
Gooderham Fountain, 1911 (cornerstone of fountain)
Grandstand
LEED Gold, Enercare Centre
The Painter’s Eye (mosaic and garden)
Royal Agricultural Winter Fair
Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 1: South Grandstand 1976 – 1999
Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 2: North Grandstand 1948 – 1999
Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 3: Football Northeast Corner
Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 4: Football Southwest Corner
Exhibition Stadium Site Plaque 5: Football Southeast Corner
Steam Tug
Hanlan, Edward
Royal Canadian Mounted Police